Friday, June 13, 2014

The Other Side of the Desk: A former recruiter’s perspective #21

Better Late Than Never

I know it's a few days overdue for my post, but for good reason: I GOT A JOB!!!! 

Turns out my pro-bono career center gig at my home institution is going to become something permanent and I received my offer letter from the Director yesterday. The position I will be accepting a position as a Program Director of Career Foundations, which will primarily involve advising students on career development resources, but will also involve managing a staff of student peer career educators, and potentially teaching a career development course. 

I actually had the offer letter sitting in my personal email inbox for 3 HOURS! I had been so used to only checking my school email account that when I finally did check, and saw the email, I let out a loud laugh and shook my head at myself. Whatever the case, the news is better late than never so I am overjoyed to say the least. 

The position is extremely fitting for my background and I am excited that I will have the opportunity to continue working directly with students, managing a staff, and teaching - all of which I had opportunities to do during my grad school career. I am also excited about the opportunity to work in a career center that has a lot of potential for new ideas and growth, an amazing director, a very collegial staff, and an immense amount of backing from the university's senior leadership. This position was definitely at the top of my list in comparison to some of the other positions, but the process was so touch and go because of the red tape that could've potentially stood in the way. 

I cannot tell you how happy I am that the search has finally finished! I applied for 10 positions total, had 2 phone interviews, and 1 on-campus interview. Certainly there are many out there who put in more job applications, but given my targeted search parameters (location, position, functional area, and pay), I think I made out pretty darn well!

For those of you who are still on the search, I wish you luck and know that the job hunt is all about being able to tell your career story in the most comprehensive and compelling way. It's a lot of work, but like any great novel, it's takes a lot of drafts to create a masterpiece. 

May the odds be ever in your favor!

No comments:

Post a Comment