Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Beeline Broadcast, #10


Tips on the Fly


After the hard drive crashed on the office computer during my first week as an intern, I was moved to a different computer closer to the hallway. This situation actually worked in my favor because I now see a lot of traffic throughout the day, such as the Director of Marketing. She's entered the habit of providing me with nuggets of advice as she rushes past my desk. Here are some of the highlights:

1) Always dress for your next position
2) Make sure your department needs you
3) Don't lose sight of your actual job duties*

*The idea is that once you start to get good at your job, other people will ask you to do things because you're known as the person that "gets stuff done." The problem arises when you start to lose sight of your original duties because you're too busy doing other things. Hence, don't lose sight of your actual job duties! She also has a tip about "cleaning your pigeon cage," but I'm going to need some more clarification about that one. To be continued!

P.S. I know this entry is short and sweet, but I've been feeling under the weather this past week (and am only now recovering). Best of luck to anyone that participated at TPE!

No comments:

Post a Comment